Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Front Runner........

I couldn't wait for my work day to be over. I have the next 2 days off! I haven't had a Thanksgiving day off since 1977, SERIOUSLY!

After work Leslie and the kids stopped by so I could give them their Christmas ornaments and see them before I left.

Carol picked me up and we dropped my turkey off to the family that needed it. Then is was off to Ogden. I had my camera but forgot to get a picture of the station.

I got on the train and the adventure began. Sitting across the aisle from me was a very old man in his Jazzy (motorized chair). He had a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off (and it was cold outside) a portable CD player in a case hanging around his neck and great big headphones (not the little ear buds) on.

I quietly sat down and pulled out my phone and started to update my FB minding my own business when he suddenly started to talk to me. He told me about how he rode the train all the time and he did seem to be a regular. The train workers all seemed to know him. Then he told me about all the places that he likes to go to sing karaoke (oh my...). Then he told me about how he needed some kind of surgery (heart I think).

Through the whole conversation I just kept playing on my phone and nodding my head and smiling. I don't think I ever uttered a word to the man. But that seemed to be okay with him and he just kept talking. He was a little hard to understand sometime, he had that old man slur to his speech.

I just thought this is all part of the mass transit experience.

The train makes 5 stops between Ogden and SLC. It only stops for maybe 2 0r 3 minutes at each stop. Woods Cross was the last stop before the SLC station. So I got to watch people get off and on at each station.

The one worker that kept going through our car and a police woman (who when she got on checked all of us for tickets) sat behind me and we all chatted about various things for a little bit.

I couldn't see much of the ride because it was dark when I got on the train. I could see car lights from the freeway and at each railroad crossing. I could also see the houses that had their Christmas lights on. For some reason the song "Over the River and Through the Woods" kept running through my mind.

It was a very nice ride and was quit enjoyable. I brought my book along but never even opened it. It was just too interesting and I didn't want to miss a thing on my first train ride.

We arrived at Woods Cross in record time. Left Ogden at 6:20 and pulled into Woods Cross at 6:54.

Debbie was there to meet me. Yes I would do it again and probably will.

The Front Runner.....................

After Debbie picked me up we went to their house and picked up Charles. Then we went to Mimi's Cafe where we met up with Angel.

Mimi's is a nice place. I had their chicken pot pie. Yummy! We sat and talked like brothers and sisters do.

Angel has gotten a new phone and it is like mine in the applications it uses. She was asking me how I saved picture from Text messages to my phone. So I showed her which application to download and then I showed her how to use it. Charles stated that it was the first time he had seen ME teaching Angel how to use something high tech. Angel always calls all of us the Technology Handicapped.

When we got back to Angel's she worked on my computer and cleaned up the mess it was in. Then we just watched TV.

I will not be sleeping alone tonight........Puddi (her dog) will be sleeping with me.

And the adventure continues........

1 comment:

  1. where did you sleep? I always make Angel scoot over and sleep with her and Puddi!

    ReplyDelete