Monday, November 2, 2009

I am thankful for hair color......

I remember when I was younger I used to think that when the time came I would just "grow old gracefully". That was until my hair started turning gray.

A couple of years ago when I had really short hair I had finally cut out all the color and was back to my natural color which I hadn't seen since I was 18. My "friends" all told me "oh it looks good with a little gray in it". So I didn't color it once again thinking that I could handle having gray hair.

Well it was growing out and everyday I would look in the mirror and wonder about my decision not to color away the gray. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and made an appointment to have the gray covered up. What really hurt that day was while I was sitting in the chair choosing what colors I wanted to try when Jen (who was doing my hair) turned to the owner of the salon and asked how long she should leave the color on since I was SEVENTY-FIVE percent gray!!!!!

That's when I changed my mind and decided that I was going to grow old kicking and screaming.

Why is it that when men go gray they look distinguished and women just look old?

So I had let my color go a little longer then it should have without a touch up (mostly due to lack of funds) and I was sitting at my kitchen table with Cambria the other day when she asked me "Grandma, why do you have white on the top of you head?"

Need I say more? I immediately texted Brittani the next day to see if she had time today to do my hair. So I got off work a little early so I could make my 4:00 appointment.

I love going to Brittani. She was an assistant manager at the store but she quit to go back to being a principal at a beauty school in Layton. But she still does hair in Brigham every Monday. It is so fun to talk to her. She is very upbeat. We talked about books (she is a reader too) and the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and all kinds of things.

So now my hair looks great and I feel MUCH better.

No comments:

Post a Comment