Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December........

Yesterday I went with my friend Robin D. to Farmington to hear Cori Connor's Christmas concert. On the way down we stopped at the Mimi's Cafe in Layton and had a bowl of soup and their yummy bread for dinner.

Robin use to live in Farmington and is friends with Cori. I had never heard of her before but I am always ready to hear new music and artists. Cori is a singer/songwriter and has had several songs performed by top artists. She plays guitar and has a beautiful voice (at least to me she did).

I have never really been to Farmington before, never ever went any further than Lagoon. Farmington is a beautiful little community and I would love to live there. It is tucked up in the base of the mountain and filled with beautiful old homes. Robin took me on a quick tour before we went to the concert.

The concert was held in the new community building. It was just like something out of a Courier and Ives Christmas card. The stage was draped in fresh garland and simple chairs were set up. The place was packed with her family and friends from the community. At the back of the stage was a huge Christmas tree just trimmed with white lights.

In her ensemble there was a pianist, a violinist, another guitar, two backup singers-one who also played various instruments, another person that also played various instruments and a man playing the standing bass.

She used to have an antique business but sold it so that she could put a studio in her house. She told us that she isn't signed to any label but that she and her band are just a group of friends that love to make music and you could feel the love they put into their songs and performance. They have 5 CD's out and of course I bought all 5 of them (I guess I will be eating mac and cheese the rest of the week).

Two of her CD's are Christmas and are full of her original songs. She also does a version of "The First Noel" that she has written a third verse for that is wonderful. The last song she sang was called "You Would Have Loved This" and most of the audience was in tears (including me) by the time she was done singing it.

After the concert Robin introduced me and we talked with her for a bit. It was a nice start to the holiday season. Robin is so fun to hang with.

No comments:

Post a Comment