Thursday, December 10, 2009

"The Burning Within"

Tuesday evening I was invited to go out to Megan's mom's ward in Tremonton. Megan's mom is the Relief Society President and they were having a special evening.

Ranelle Wallace was coming to speak. Ranelle has written the book "The Burning Within". She was a reporter in California and survived a plan crash which burned a good portion of her body. You could hardly tell that now though.

She was wonderful. I sat there totally captivated by her. While she was talking I started to notice that she was talking directly to me. Not only in the spiritual sense but her focus was on me and no one else. I was a little uncomfortable at first but then the more she talked to me the more I became unable to turn away from her.

It was a very powerful talk and several times I received a "burning from within" from the spirit confirming that what she was saying was true. She also made you think about your own beliefs and testimony. When she was drawing to the conclusion of her talk I looked up at the time and she had been talking to us for an hour....it seemed like only a few minutes.

After she finished we went into the cultural hall for dinner. They served chicken cordon bleu, a very yummy salad, homemade rolls (Megan told me her mom's best friend always makes them and they are the best) and pumpkin cake. The salad had craisins in it and I had never tried them before. They were good. I don't like raisins but I will eat craisins, go figure.

The pumpkin cake was very good. When I took my first bite I turned to Megan and said, "I know this will sound weird but this cake tastes like my scentsy scent." You know when you smell something and you can almost taste it and sometimes it will make your mouth water? When I bit into the cake the aroma from the cake and the taste was exactly like what I think my scentsy would taste like. Yes, I know I'm a little weird sometimes.......

Some of the women brought their own copies of Ranelle's book and she signed them for them. She also brought a box of her books so I bought one and she signed it. While she was doing that she told me that I was her anchor while she was up there speaking. I told her that I could tell she was talking to me. She said that she always picks out a person to "anchor" herself to. She said when she saw me and I quote (I am not making this up) "I could tell you are a very special lady". Then she stood up and gave me a huge hug. Wow what a night.

I also got to meet Megan's (and Conly's) Grandmother. she was very nice and very funny. It was a nice evening and I was grateful to Megan and her mom for sharing it with me. Now I can't wait to read the book.

1 comment: