Sunday, December 19, 2010

Doing some catching up............

Sunday Dec. 12th.......

So my Sunday mornings are pretty lazy with church not starting until 1pm.  I rarely am dressed before 11.  So today I laying around in my jammies.  I had just finished my preparing my Primary lesson and had checked the music schedule to see what songs I would have to play at the organ today (Christmas songs...piece of cake) when my phone rang at 10:15ish.  When my phone rings on a Sunday morning it is usually not a social call and this time was no exception.

I looked at the caller ID and it was Carol.....and yes I answered it (I can be a glutton for punishment sometimes).  She then proceeded to explain to me that she got a call telling her that the person that was doing the musical number for Sacrament meeting was sick and could her family (all her kids were home for Jed's mission homecoming talk today) provide a musical number. So then she continues saying they were singing an arrangement of Silent Night and Hanna was playing the violin, and Jed, Caleb, Emily and Jenny were singing.  Her mother was trying to play the accompaniment but she only plays by ear.

By now I was giggling and told her that is sounded like she had everything under control.  I do love to torture her.  So she told me to asked if I could come over right now and play for them today.  I told her I was still in my jammies, she said they would be waiting for me. Whatever happened to that shy reserved Carol that I loved so well?

So I had to hurry and get ready for the day.  Yes I know I could have just thrown on some clothes and pulled my hair into ponytail but....Her family (knowing them the way I do) were all dressed and ready for church looking polished and beautiful and I became a little vain and did my hair and makeup and put on my church clothes.

I walked over and I was hoping it was an arrangement I had played before but no I could not be that lucky.  So I put my super powers of sight reading to use and we ran through it twice.  It was beautiful and I do love playing for Carol's children when they perform.  Carol's mom came up and thanked me profusely for saving her from the piano (it can be a vicious instrument).

Jenny wasn't there so Emily asked if I would be able to run through it again right before the meeting.  Well since I was playing the organ that day and would be in the middle of playing the prelude, that was going to be a little difficult. I just haven't mastered being in two places at once.

Well as I was just setting up the organ to begin, Jenny and Emily came in so I quickly went to the Primary room so that Jenny could run through it once.

The musical number was absolutely beautiful.  They are so talented.  It gave me goose bumps while we performed.

Church went well the rest of the afternoon.  I managed to conquer the organ once again, taught my Primary class (love those kids) and played for choir practice after the meetings.

Gary and Bill, my home teachers, came over that evening and brought me a pretty poinsettia.  Then Jodi and her sister came over so we could practice the song they were singing Tuesday night for the Relief Society's Christmas program.

And they say Sunday is a day of rest.......

No comments:

Post a Comment