Sunday, May 23, 2010

In which I deserve the "Greatest Grandma Award"..........

I think if it weren't for my grandchildren and neighbors I would have nothing to write about....SERIOUSLY!

Last SATURDAY (5/15) night the only thing that happened was at about 9:30 there was a quiet knock on my backdoor.....it was Carol H.  She was sheepishly standing there and I asked "What's up?"  She pulled out from behind her back some papers on which I could see music written. She quickly told me that THURSDAY her daughter Emily told her that she was asked to do the musical number for church on SUNDAY (5/16).  She was wondering if I would please look at this music and see if I would want to accompany Emily and her brother Caleb TOMORROW in Sacrament meeting.....

It was 9:30 on a Saturday night....I didn't even look at the music I just took it from her and said "of course I'll do it".........To which she replied "if you try it out and don't like it call me and let me know".  Yea right, the night before they are suppose to sing.  Then she asked if I would want to get together with them in the morning to run through it a couple of times....DUH!?!?!?! But I was nice to her and said that would be a great idea (without trying to be too sarcastic).  After all I do love Carol and her family.

Sunday was great.  The song was a song that Carol had heard when she and her husband Bill went to Hawaii last year.  She loved it so much that after the meeting she asked the lady that sang it who it was by and then found the music.  It is called "Savior" by Melanie and Roger Hoffman and it really is a beautiful song.  Emily and Caleb sounded so good and I do enjoy playing for them when they sing.

Work this last week was really quiet and boring (or more so than usual) since Conly was on overnights to help with the electronic mods.  So there was no one to throw markers at me from my window or try to scare me or just come to my window and talk to me for a minute.  Conly is also my lunch buddy so I had to eat lunch by myself 3 of the 5 days.  My friend Connie usually eats with us when she can and she could eat with me 2 of the days.

Friday night was Cambria's Dance Review at Bear River High in Tremonton. I went out there right after work.  When I got there Leslie was doing our friend Shelby's daughter McCall's nails for the Red and White dance Saturday night.  It was so fun to see McCall.  Leslie used to babysit for McCall all the time and now she was doing her nails for her first date.  How life does go on and comes back around.

Gunner heard me talking and started yelling (he was in the bathtub).  Leslie told me to go up and help him finish up but when I got halfway up the stairs he was running out of the bathroom...you guest it ....NAKED (like always).  He was so excited that I was there he said he was done with his bath. 

The Dance Review was  great.  Cambria danced her heart out as always.  It is just a really long night.  It starts at 6:00 and goes to about 9 or 9:30....sitting on hard gym bleachers.  I didn't take any pictures this time cause I just wanted to be able to watch her dance with no distractions. 

Saturday Cambria's Jr. Elite group was doing the halftime at the Stampede football game at USU.  It has been cold and rainy for most of the month of MAY soooo yes it was freezing at the football game.  It felt like a fall game...everyone huddled in blankets.  At least it didn't rain!

The game wasn't even good.  Paul says that this is a league that is made up of all the guys in high school that didn't make the varsity team.  Watching them play as older men...I can just say Braxton's football games will probably be more entertaining.  There was MAYBE 200 people there to watch the game.

Stampede is the Logan team, they even had cheerleaders?  Leslie and I watched them and decided that they were the girls in high school that tried out for cheerleader and never made it. They even did a dance at halftime and Leslie and I couldn't stop laughing (we were up far enough away from everyone else that no one heard us).  Then Cambria's group came out and showed them how to do it!  Of course the announcer messed up and called them the VanDell's instead of the VaDel's.

Cambria didn't care she was just glad to be able to dance another time. I told her I deserved the "Greatest Grandma" award for sitting there freezing my ass butt of to watch her dance. After we went to  Texas Roadhouse for dinner.  I had the smothered chicken breast with mushroom and onions...yum!  Gunner really liked our waitress and would talk to her every time she came to the table.  He is such a little flirt. They have buckets of peanuts in their shells on the tables and that was all Gunner wanted to eat.

When I got home I had a message on my machine...it was Edris...so I'm now doing the musical number for next Sunday.  At least she gives me a week to get ready.....

I just sent my feedback on "We Three Kings" to Dale J. so I'm waiting for the next song.

I am reading "The Walk" by Richard Paul Evans.

1 comment:

  1. You ARE the world's greatest grandma.
    That's true love and dedication to sit for hours in the cold to watch someone doing something that you've already seen several times.

    ReplyDelete