Friday, May 7, 2010

Cambria's School Progam or The Recorder Concert......

Last night I received a phone call from my granddaughter. She told me that today she would be in her 3rd grade program at 1:45 and would I please come and watch her. How could I refuse that invitation? On the plus side that would mean I could work 6 hours with no lunch, burn 2 hours of vacation and start my weekend early. It was a win win situation.

When I got to work this morning I went to find Shift Manager Ken to tell ask him if I could leave early today. The conversation went something like this.......

Me: Hey Ken I need to ask you for a favor..
Ken: Sure what do you need?
Me: My granddaughter is having a program today at...
Ken: Sure go ahead and leave when you need to.
Me: Thanks, I'm not going to come back so I'll need to put in a couple of hours of vaca...
Ken: Sure, just let me know when you've put it in so I can approve it.

WOW!  That was easy!  No begging, crying or bargaining involved.  Then before I left he saw me in the hall and told me to have a great rest of the day and also wished me Happy Mother's day.  I love Ken he is the BEST!!!!

I went to Cambria's school and found Leslie (fighting with Gunner about him wanting to push the stroller all over the place).  I was expecting the usual program, cute kids singing cute songs and saying their parts.  Instead they sang 3 cute songs and then they all played their recorders for the rest of the time, with some cute kids saying their lines which ended up being them telling corny jokes.

I remember well my siblings and my daughters all having to learn the recorder in elementary school. I never did though.  That was either because they didn't teach recorder in the elementary schools I went to or because the schools didn't want to torture themselves or the parents with the instrument or maybe it is just a Utah thing......  In fact I think I still have Leslie's recorder in a drawer somewhere.

Okay, so the memories I have of someone playing the recorder were not always good ones, so seeing about 90 3rd graders on stage all put their recorders to there mouths, well didn't excite me too much.
I was pleasantly surprised when they actually sounded good.  They were all together and no one was missing their notes or making them squeak when they played the higher notes. Kudos to their music teacher.

They played the standard recorder numbers...."Hot Cross Buns", "Mary Had a Little Lamb" to name a few.  Then they started to play songs that I have never heard before and some that I would not expect to hear a recorder playing. One of the songs they played was "Amazing Grace" and some other more advanced songs.  They were really good.

The teacher teaches them the recorder like karate.  They received belts for getting to different levels.  It was quite interesting and the kids seemed to respond and learn well from it.  Once again kudos to their teacher.

Gunner of course was restless during the program.  One time he had to go to the "poddy".  Then he wanted a drink- RIGHT NOW!  I rummaged around in my purse and found half a roll of butterscotch lifesavers.  Gunner thought they were really good and ended up eating the rest of the roll.  Then I found a Tootsie Roll that I got a couple of Sundays ago.  Susan was giving them out to our Primary kids and she gave me one that I just threw in my purse and forgot about.  It was a good thing though, since it kept Gunner quiet until the end of the program.

After it was over I came home and on the way stopped at Taco Time and got my favorite-Casita Burrito- which is also the Friday special.  It was yummy and that took care of my lunch/dinner since it was around 3 when I finally got to eat.

I received my fourth song from Dale J.  It is "Here We Come a Wassailing"  My feedback is due to him by Monday.

I am currently reading "Untamed" by P.C.and Kristin Cast.  It is the 4th book in the House of Night series.  I love the humor in them and they are quick reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment