Sunday, August 23, 2009

Changes

So I figure....change is good (or so they tell me).

It's been an eventful week...

Tuesday was Jax's 10th birthday. After I got off work I headed to Jamie's for his birthday BBQ. It was an uneventful drive. My car was running smoothly and the traffic was light (you all know how I hate the freeway). All was well with the world until.....I pulled into the driveway of Jamie's apartment complex.

It was awful, the sound of metal grinding on metal. I quickly found the nearest parking place and turned off the car. I sat there for a moment contemplating what the h#%% just happened. I thought...maybe it was my imagination. I start the car up and everything sounds good until I shift into reverse and start to move then there it was that awful, make your teeth hurt noise.

I walked into Jamie's wondering how I was going to get home. Patrick (Jamie's boyfriend) met me at the door with a hug and asked me how I was. Well all I could do was start to cry and told him my car just died and I didn't know how I was going to get home...Hugs will do that to me, my emotions just come out. Well poor Patrick just looked at me and said "I'll go upstairs and get Jamie"....

Fortunately Jamie knows a lot of people with various talents so of course she has mechanics for friends. They came and while we were eating and relaxing they worked on my car. So what they found out was I guess there are 3 bars that come off the axle and connect the wheel? The middle one, the torq something or other had broken and wrapped itself around the upper bar on the front passenger wheel. He said he has seen this break in numerous Grand Ams but has NEVER seen it wrap around the upper bar. Yes leave it to me to be the first....

They got the broken part off and called one of the auto supply stores close by and told me the cost for the parts (he was going to replace the one on the drivers side too). He was going to charge me for the parts and $65 for his time. So after the party I got to take Jamie's Mitsubishi 3000 home.

I'm glad it waited until I got to Jamie's before breaking and that I had my family there to help me out. The Lord was really watching over me that day.

Jax's party was fun. Angel came and so did Leslie and her family. We just had hamburgers and hot dogs but food is always good when you are with the ones you love.

Driving Jamie's car was different. I have driven a stick shift since I was 19 and her car is an automatic. Well I kept wanting to shift and a few times both feet hit the brake. It has working air conditioning, ahhhhhh....... Mine hasn't worked for 4 years. Its started overheating my car when it ran and when I took it in they told me it would cost $400 to fix it. I asked them if it affected my heat and defroster. They said no and I left. I could stand the heat for a couple of months to save the money.

The rest of the week I was getting advice from friends and family as to what action to take concerning my car. I still don't know what I will do. I can't afford too much of a car payment and with the economy the way it is I'm a little leery to make such a major purchase. I know you all think I'm just being stupid, but I've been through the bankruptcy thing before and lost everything. I'm not to excited about being in debt any more than I am, especially since they have been cutting hours at work lately. It's going to take much prayer and pondering.

Saturday I drove Jamie's car back to her since mine was fixed. I spent a nice afternoon with her and the boys. I took them to Ihop for lunch (Jax's choice) and then we watched "Stepbrothers" and "Epic Movie" while the boys played. Trevon has had croup so he wasn't feeling great. Jax starts school Monday and is excited to go. Trevon will start preschool on the 8th of September.

Today church was cancelled (at least in Utah) because of the temple dedication. So I got the day off. I went out to Leslie's and spent time with her and the kids. She fixed us a yummy dinner. She showed me some neat websites on the computer for makeup and scrapbooking. Then we played Phase 10. Braxton wanted to play, but after the 3rd hand he lost interest and went to play. It was fun afternoon. At one point Braxton came downstairs in last years Halloween costume (Optimas Prime-Transformers for those of you that don't know) and went outside to play like that was a normal thing to do.

Today is my cousin Audrey's birthday, so I hope you had a happy fun filled day.

1 comment: