Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad!

Today is my Daddy's birthday. I could never remember how old my dad is so I asked him...he is 79! I told him no way could he be that old because most of the time he acts much younger.

Here are some memories I have of my dad......

I remember before Angel was born that he used to sit on the front porch of the mobile home we lived in and smoke with his friends.

I remember kneeling in the Idaho Falls Temple with him, mom and Angel being sealed as a family. The memory of this is so vivid that I can even remember what the room looked like.

I remember how handsome my dad was in his Air Force uniforms. I have always been so proud of the way that he served his country.

I remember waiting for him to call home when he was gone on TDY when we lived in our apartment in Spokane Washington.

I remember being baptized and confirmed my him. We did it in July, on Mom's birthday, little over one month before I turned eight. He was leaving for Vietnam and got special permission to do it early.

I remember listening to the tape recordings he made for us while he was in Vietnam. I still have one of the tapes and the old reel to reel recorder/player that we used. I also remember all the things he sent us. Dolls, clothes, foreign money, a letter from his interpreter especially for each one of us. All of which I still have.

He taught dance for Arthur Murray dance studios and I remember him dancing with mom and us girls around the living room.

My dad always had high expectations of his children. He didn't allow us to be disrespectful to our mom. When he gave an "order" he expected it done and in a timely and efficient manner. I think that's were I got some of my quirks from.

When we lived in Colorado Springs he used to take us to a trout farm and let us fish. They had horses we could ride and he used to take us riding. I wanted a horse of my own so bad. He always told me that when he retired from the Air Force he would get me one. I'm still waiting.....

Dad took us on vacations. We saw the Grand Canyon, Zions National Park, Bryce National Park, Yellowstone, the Tetons, Mt Shasta. It seems we were always camping on vacations. When we would be driving and he saw a Historical Monument we always stopped to see what it was about.

I remember when he was transferred to Alaska for the second time. We drove from Klamath Falls Oregon to Eielson AFB, Fairbanks Alaska in our big green van, camping all the way.

When I was out with boys and they brought me home if I sat in the car too long my dad would flip the porch light off and on. Dad is never subtle.......

I remember when I tried out for Dance Club at the end of my Junior year in high school. I was sitting at home waiting to see if they were going to pick me up (meaning that I made it). I was so nervous and worried that I didn't dance well enough to make it. He got some ice cream and gave me a bowl and told me not to worry. HE KNEW I was going to make it and when they came to pick me up he was beaming and said "I told you so".

My dad has always had more faith and confidence in me than I have in myself.

I remember my dad giving me away when I married Kelly. Before we went out he quietly told me that it wasn't too late and if I changed my mind he would be okay with it :).

He always supported me in my decisions, even if he didn't always agree with what I chose.

I remember him blessing both my girls and confirming Jamie and baptizing and confirming Leslie. I am grateful for the priesthood that he holds and honors. I remember the many blessings that he has given me and all I had to do was ask.

Dad used to walk for exercise and after Leslie was born I started walking with him and his friend Lee. We walked a 5 mile loop. I loved those walks. We would talk about all kinds of things. Dad went everyday but Sunday rain or shine.....literally. One day it was snowing off and on and I thought that dad would probably not want to go. Well he did and it started snowing about half way. We must have been a site, walking in that snowstorm.

I remember all the love and support he gave me when Kelly's health started to go. He was right there for me and the girls.

After Kelly was gone dad was always there for the girls. He took Jamie to school and everyday he always had a chocolate donut waiting for her. He went to daddy/daughter things with Leslie. He walked both girls down the aisle at their weddings.

One day Leslie was looking outside and asked me " Mom, why does grandpa drive by the house and doesn't stop?" I didn't know that he did. So we started watching, and sure enough about the same time everyday my dad would drive by. When I asked him why he did that, he told me that he just wanted to make sure we were all okay. My dad is always watching out for his family.

I love the way my dad loves my mom. He is always there for her. I've watched how he takes care of her. How wonderful he was to her when she found out about her breast cancer and had to have a mastectomy. My dad is a great example to us all. I'm so glad that he is my dad.

I could go on and on.....

Thanks Dad for all you have done for me. You are the best and I hope your birthday was a good one. I love you more than words will ever express. Your #1 daughter :)

4 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely tribute. How fortunate to have a Dad who loves you and shows that he does. The part about him driving past brings tears to my eyes.
    Terrific post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dads are great! I was and still am a Daddys Girl. Proud of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice tribute to your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did such a great job on this! What a special man you have for a dad and how lucky he is to have you for a daughter!!

    ReplyDelete