Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Weekend-09

So it was another busy fun filled weekend.......

Saturday was Cambria's baptism at 10am. She was baptized and confirmed by her Grandpa Blake (Paul's Dad). Cambria was so pretty and it was very nice. It had been a while since I have felt the burning in my heart. I was grateful for another needed Tender Mercy.

Afterwards we all went to Paul's parents house for lunch. The weather was nice for eating outside. It was overcast with a breeze (which is always blowing in Tremonton).

We had taco salad, chips and salsa, watermelon, several dessert choices and the best corn on the cob I have ever eaten. Angel grabbed a piece when Blake first brought it out and took a bite. She turned to me and asked me how they cooked their corn. I told her I was sure they just boiled it in water like everyone else. She asked how they got it to taste this good and shoved it in my face to get me to take a bite. I went over and grabbed my own piece and yes it was the sweetest, most tender corn I have ever eaten.

Usually I smother my corn in butter and salt and pepper. This corn didn't need anything, I just ate it plain. We asked Tanya (Leslie's sister-in-law) what kind of corn it was. Blake grows his own on his little farm. She said it is called Serendipity. It is a white and yellow kerneled corn. So if you ever want to plant it, there you go.

Saturday was also the Jon Schmidt concert that Carol H. bought tickets for my birthday. She called me a little after I got home and said we would leave at 3. I asked her if that wasn't a little early and she said that we were going to have dinner at her mom's.

Her mother is serving a mission in Salt Lake and lives in an apartment building right across the street from the Conference Center. It is a security building were a lot of the senior missionaries live and it is really nice. She lives on the 6th floor and the view from her balcony was something else.

You of course could see the Conference Center and then the Temple right across the street from it. In the winter with all the trees in between the apartment and the Temple bare you would have the best view of Temple Square all lit up for Christmas.

We had never been to the Thanksgiving Point Amphitheater before. It is surround by trees so that even when you are sitting at the top (where we were) that's all you can see with the mountains in the background. It has a pond with several waterfalls behind the stage that light up once the sun goes down. Once again...perfect weather.



The opening band was the winner of the Salt Lake City Battle of the Bands. They are called Avenues of Ember. You know me, I love rock, but this band just didn't do it for me. They weren't bad but I don't think I'd buy their CD that's coming out. Music is a personal thing. If I like it I listen to it no matter what kind of music it is, but if I don't like it, well I'm sure someone else will. I do have to say this though...the girl that was the lead singer could really belt out a song and the lead guitarist was pretty good. The drummer and the bass player just looked bored during the whole performance.

Jon was awesome (for lack of a more original word). This was the first non-rock concert I have ever been to. I like to listen to several pianists but have never been to any of their shows. You can just tell how much he loves what he does. I wish I could play like him. He also had Steven Sharp Nelson, who is a cellist with him. They collaborate on a lot of songs together. They would banter in between numbers when he was on stage and it was very funny. Even when they messed around the music they made was great.

Of course like at any public event the people watching was at it's best. There were people ranging in age from older than my father to babies. People on dates, families, you name it they were there. As I was looking around to see what I could see the girl sitting next to me was nursing her baby. I am not opposed to this, I was just a little surprised to see that she didn't bother to use a blanket or anything to cover up with.

There were also the fashion diva's that seemed to think that stilettos were the proper foot attire for walking down the grassy hill of the amphitheater. You don't look too cool when your heels are getting stuck in the nice soft soil.

During the concert Carol disappeared for a minute and when she came back she gave me Jon's new CD.

She is too good to me, but I love her anyway.

After the concert I noticed that they had a table where they were selling Jon's piano books. I was sad that we didn't have time to stop and shop. We were trying to beat the crowd to the parking lot so we could get out without to much waiting.

We got home around midnight and I had to get up early to go to church. It was my turn at the organ. It was also my turn to teach the Primary lesson (which I didn't read and prepare until 6 this morning). Yes, procrastination is my middle name. We also have started the choir up again now that summer is over so we had practice after the meetings.

By the time I got home I was beat. It was one of those time when you are sooooo tired that you can't get to sleep. My afternoon nap was made up of a bunch of little naps. By the time I decided to give up and get up to fix me something for dinner I was so groggy that I felt like I had been drugged. That's why I didn't update yesterday. I was in bed by 8.

1 comment: