Sunday, February 13, 2011

So I find out that I'm not a dog person.....

Everyone said how I needed a dog.  That I'd have something to walk with.  That I wouldn't be so lonely. Blah Blah Blah Yadda Yadda Yadda........

So I got a dog.  She was a good dog, house trained, crate trained, smart, what more could you want in a dog?!  She was even a double champion.  I tried for over a month to form some kind of bond with her.  It just wasn't happening. 

I couldn't take the mess of her tracking up my floors, and shedding all over everything or finding accidents when the dog door was right there and I was in a hurry to go somewhere (like work).  I couldn't take her being under my feet ALL the time.  I felt like I was being tied down to my house, not being able to go whenever I wanted to, for as long as I wanted to because I had a dog to worry about.

I have lived alone for 10 years now.  This last spring/summer I was walking at least 2 miles a day, and I didn't need something to take for a walk to get me going.  I was happy walking on my own.  For one thing I walk for exercise not to be social, so I push myself and to tell the truth a dog would slow me down. 

As far a dog helping me not be so lonely.....She couldn't carry on a conversation with me, couldn't go to the movies or shopping, or anything with me.  Just having her in the house didn't help the loneliness I sometimes feel.  My sisters both said that there is nothing better that a warm dog in your bed at night......I can think of A LOT of better things.

Maybe I'm just too OCD to deal with a dog, maybe it's because I've never had a pet (other than birds) but whatever the case I took Chris back to Kathy yesterday. Chris and I just were NOT giving each other what the other needed.  When I got back home later that day I immediately felt more zen. 

Don't get wrong, I love dogs, I just can't live with them at this point in my life.  So don't think poorly of me.  Kathy was very understanding and I do appreciate everything that she and Mike did for me to try to help the situation.

So yesterday after I dropped off Chris I went over to Leslie's.  Jamie and Leslie and all the kids were there.  Jamie and Leslie went shopping Friday for things for their homes and then Jamie and the boys spent the night at Leslie's so that they could do some decorating of Leslie's new house.  I went over to see the progress they were making and to give the kids their Valentines goodies.

Leslie's house is looking very cute.  The kids loved their Valentines and I got to spend time with my family (much better than sitting at home with Chris).  Cambria has been sick for the past couple of days so she was not her usual active self.  But the boys were loving having each other to play with.

Gunner was at the counter drawing and I heard him complaining of his elbow hurting so I turned around to see what was wrong and as I did he said again, "my elbow hurts" while grabbing his RIBS.  So Leslie asked him what these were (pointing to her ribs) and he said elbows.  So we had a little anatomy lesson and he finally got it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment